[tbnl-devel] tbnl / sbcl 0.8.21

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Wed Apr 6 22:34:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 13:27:37 -0700, Keith Irwin <keith.irwin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone want to focus my attention on any particular files, or
> areas to envistigate

How does your environment look like when you start SBCL, i.e. which
locale are you using?

> Since I'm not a developer of TBNL nor do I intend to be, I'm not
> sure what the above means.  Is the problem that TBNL is trying to
> read a binary file into, uh, characters, or something?

Yes.  See here: <http://weitz.de/tbnl/#quirks>.  The problem is that
the stream you want to send the binary data to is a character stream -
or at least in the beginning, when the HTTP headers are sent to the
browser, it's a character stream.

If you use AllegroCL or LW you can have streams which are "bivalent" -
you can send characters /and/ octets to these streams, so no problem.
If, on the other hand, you use a Lisp like CMUCL which assumes that
all characters have eight bits then you don't have a problem either.

At the time when TBNL was written SBCL behaved like CMUCL so the stuff
it's now choking at just worked.  Obviously, that's not the case
anymore.

Cheers,
Edi.