[s-xml-devel] Simple character sets: what does it mean?

Sven Van Caekenberghe scaekenberghe at common-lisp.net
Thu Feb 3 09:52:46 UTC 2005

On 02 Feb 2005, at 11:23, Luca Capello wrote:

> Hello!
>
> In order to let s-xml enter in Debian, I had been asked for the
> meaning of the limitation of s-xml in supportin "simple character
> sets" [1].
>
> AFAIK, the only explanation I found is the same provided in the MySQL
> Reference Manual [2]:
> =====
> If the character set does not need to use special string collating
> routines for sorting and does not need multi-byte character support,
> it is simple.
>
> If it needs either of those features, it is complex.
> =====
>
> Am I correct?
>
> Thx, bye,
> Gismo / Luca
>
> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=292643
> [2] http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/adding-character-set.html

Well, the limitation in S-XML is that I/we did not yet make any effort
to support anything but the basic CL character type (and string or
stream type). But in a CL implementation that makes all characters,
strings and streams unicode, that should solve most problems, I think.
So it more or less depends on the underlying CL - with the restriction
that full unicode support has not yet been proven as far as I know.

Sven