[regex-coach] Feature request

Dominique Faure dominique.faure at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 11:08:55 UTC 2006

On 11/9/06, Edi Weitz <edi at agharta.de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 10:11:01 +0100, "Dominique Faure" <dominique.faure at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I found the Regex-Coach an invaluable piece of code (I'm using it
> > almost every days), and wanted to thank you about that.
>
> You're welcome... :)
>
> > Looking at the CL-PPCRE dictionary[1], I saw that the (?{code}) and
> > (??{code}) syntaxic forms were (obviously) not handled, but what
> > about having the php variants (?R), (?1), (?2),... which don't imply
> > any code pollution at the pattern level?
>
> Never heard of them - do you have a link which explains them?  (I saw
> the ASPN link you provided, but the poster seems to assume that one
> already knows them.)
>
> > In the same mood, it would be really nice to handle named capture
> > with the help of the (?P<name>), (?P=name), and the related
> > (?P>name) from python/php.
>
> Have to check them out and see if I think it'd make sense to add them
> to CL-PPCRE.

All this stuff is initially PCRE (http://www.pcre.org/) specific
features. The related man page has some nice explanation of them. But
as both they are already used in popular scripting languages and some
of them are slowly leaking to Perl itself...

Here's a nice sample about this:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.preg-match.php#62221

> But don't hold your breath - I'm pretty busy with other things at the
> moment.

All these are only enhancement suggestions that could be applied to
your excellent tool. I can live without them, it's only very
uncomfortable :)

Regards,
Dom