[regex-coach] Regex Coach strings in Windows Registry

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Wed Dec 27 10:50:03 UTC 2006

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 10:48:41 -0500, Sheri <silvermoonwoman at comcast.net> wrote:

[Please use the mailing list.]

> This is mostly an issue for regedit (a component of Windows); if you
> use regedit to export:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Edi Weitz\The Regex Coach\Panes
>
> the exported strings are corrupted in the resulting .reg file when
> they contain CRLFs.

OK, I see.  Unfortunately, there's no easy way for me to change that.
(And I think it's a pretty esoteric usage of Regex Coach anyway... :)

> I did finally figure out how to update such strings in the registry
> using a reg file, the strings must be converted to unicode, encoded
> in hex, and specified as hex(1) in the .reg file. This is necessary
> with WIndows XP, I'm not sure if the unicode part is needed for
> earlier versions of Windows. But despite the fact that with effort
> you can store CRLFs in REG_SZ strings, you cannot use regedit to
> export them. It seems REG_SZ strings were not designed to hold
> multiline strings. However, I consider my issue to be resolved.

OK, good.

> I do have a question/suggestion about the GUI for The Regex Coach.
>
> I see the underlined letters in Regular Expression (r), Target
> String (t), Replacement String (p) and Replacement Result (l). Do
> they have any significance? It would be nice if there were
> associated keyboard shortcuts to set the focus inside those
> respective panes.

I have to admit that I don't know why the GUI toolkit I'm using (CAPI)
added the underlined letters there.  You're right - it's seems they're
doing nothing.  I'll investigate this for the next release.

Cheers,
Edi.