[rdnzl-devel] Re: using RDNZL

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Sat Mar 5 22:32:36 UTC 2005

Hi Charley!

Sorry for the delay.

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 11:47:09 -0800, "Charles A. Cox" <cox at franz.com> wrote:

> For Edi:
>
>   I notice that specifying a full pathname for AproposGui.dll to the
> import-types function still causes an error.  This seems to be
> happening because System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadWithPartialName
> won't take full pathnames (?).

Yep, that's the reason.

> If that's the case, maybe import-types could be beefed up to check
> if the argument is a full pathname and instead invoke Load or
> LoadFrom. ??

I used to do this in earlier (unreleased) versions of RDNZL but
abandoned that approach when I found out that assemblies loaded with
LoadFrom are kind of "second class" citizens in .NET.  For example,
you can't use the reflection machinery to get at the types loaded that
way if you only have the type's (fully qualified) name.  I remember
reading an online article explaining the problem but I can't find the
link right now.

Anyway, I think we shouldn't do that.  If a user wants to invoke
LoadFrom or Load he should do so explicitely and he should (hopefully)
be aware of the consequences.

Does that seem like the right decision to you?

Cheers,
Edi.