[postmodern-devel] Release 1.05

Marijn Haverbeke marijnh at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 17:51:39 UTC 2008

On Jan 16, 2008 6:06 PM, Ivan Boldyrev <lispnik at gmail.com> wrote:
> Btw, I would use different specifiers for char and varchar:
> (char n) => char(n)
> (string n)  => varchar(n)

That was also my first idea, but there are two objections: Firstly,
Lisp values of type (string n) have to have *exactly* n characters,
and are thus more like char(n) than varchar(n). Secondly, char is an
exported symbol in the package :common-lisp, and thus not a very good
candidate for use in a library (you aren't allowed to define a type by
that name without first shadowing the symbol).

Marijn