[mel-base-devel] git repository link is down

Jochen Schmidt js at crispylogics.com
Wed Dec 8 01:51:01 UTC 2010

Am 13.10.2010 um 17:01 schrieb Liu Yubao:

> [[ cross post to quicklisp, hope this isn't annoying as they are all
> low volume lists. ]]
>
> Hi Jochen,
>
> I'm glad you fixed the mel-base web page on common-lisp.net quickly,
> but Zach and I find
> the git repository link is down, could you tell me what happened?

I needed to run git update-server-info - it should now work. Drop me a note if there still are problems.

>  [[ http://github.com/quicklisp/quicklisp-projects/issues#issue/9 ]]
>
> And the mel-base-announce link on
> http://common-lisp.net/project/mel-base/ is wrongly
> pointed to mel-base-devel, I think it's better just remove it or fix
> the link and announce
> a new release, I'm very surprised and happy to see mel-base is
> maintained continuously
> and well, thanks for your excellent effort.

I've removed mel-base-announce from the website I do not want to maintain multiple mailing lists for this project.

> Recently I'm annoyed many mail clients are stupid to process huge
> amounts of mails by IMAP:
>   * Thunderbird freezes very often, almost useless
>   * Opera responses well but it tries to download all mail headers
> which I don't want,
>     and it's closed source software.
>   * Mutt doesn't show mail list at all before it finishes downloading
> all mail headers, too stupid.
>   * Alpine tries to download all mail headers and freeze if I want to
> sort by thread, and Alpine
>     is a little slow to download mails compared to Mutt, I don't know why.
>   * Emacs + Gnus/VM/Mew/Wanderlust all freeze when downloading data
> because Emacs is
>     a single thread application.
>
> As a Common Lisp newbie, I'm playing with some CL libraries about mail
> processing,
>    * cl-postoffice: maintained well by Franz Inc, but not portable.
>    * mel-base: seems very mature (I see you deal with gmail, that's
> what I need:-), but document isn't good enough.
>    * clonsigna: new and interesting, but not mature enough.
>
> I'm playing mel-base now, hope it help me make a stupid mail client to
> handle huge amounts of
> mails properly.

Feel free to ask questions whenever you want. I'll try to answer them timely but I hope the mel-base user-base understands, that I actually need to earn money to feed my little daughter and my beautyful wife :-).

ciao,
Jochen

--
Jochen Schmidt