[iterate-devel] newbie debugging a function with iterate.

Hoehle, Joerg-Cyril Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Wed May 23 17:25:17 UTC 2007

Hi,

Patrick X wrote:
>I just had to ask.  What tools do you normally use to debug, trace or
>step functions within the iterate package.
That you should better ask in comp.lang.lisp or in your implementation's forum. There's nothing particular to Iterate.

You'll have to distinguish macros from functions.
I.e. portably you can use TRACE to trace functions, e.g. Iterate's internal helper functions.
>(trace iterate::for previous)
You won't typically be able to trace macros.

>"can't use encapsulation to trace anonymous function"
IIRC, CMUCL's trace (if that's cmucl speaking) provides two different ways to trace. See (describe 'trace) to switch to the other way (modify code in place instead of replacing the (symbol-function 'foo) cell).

Regards,
	Jörg Höhle.