[iterate-devel] eval-when to setf readtable (was: Texinfo version of The Iterate Manual)

Hoehle, Joerg-Cyril Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Mon May 7 08:18:00 UTC 2007

Attila Lendvai wrote:
>> Something is wrong with EVAL-WHEN, and I haven't time to
>look after this.
>> Might be a CLISP bug (feature interaction between LOAD
>:compiling and EVAL-WHEN).
>
>the strange thing is that it needed a :execute to make (load :compile
>t) work, no idea why.

BTW, CLHS contains exactly this example of modifying the readtable with EVAL-WHEN. Their example has all three of :load- :compile- :evaluate -- I'm unsure why, because in today's implementations, it seems like less situations should be required [*]. Maybe they wanted to play safe?

[*] Seemingly, it's only during READ-time for either loading (interpreted?) or compiling that one needs to set the read-table.  There should be no need to generate code for this in the binary fasl: it's all gone then, one would think.

Regards,
	Jörg Höhle.