[imago-devel] Status of Imago, better options elsewhere?

matthieu.villeneuve at free.fr matthieu.villeneuve at free.fr
Wed Jul 26 12:03:52 UTC 2006

Hello Leigh,

Selon Leigh Smith <leigh at leighsmith.com>:
> Hi I notice that Imago is not really getting much discussion on the
> imago-devel mail list. I'm curious if previous users are now using a
> better library? I've been using it and for what I need it suits my
> modest requirements with the exception of write-pnm not supporting
> indexed images. I'm just checking if it's worth my effort to do the
> work adding support or whether I'd be better off throwing my support
> behind a more active project?

I am not aware of better or more active projects of this type, but
there may be, you might want to ask on comp.lang.lisp.
It is true that imago-devel is pretty calm (to say the least),
I do not know whether it is because not many people use the library
or because it is so great that nothing remains to be said (although
the former seems more likely)... :)
Anyway, I would be glad to know about any comments or criticism
you may have. Julian Squires recently checked in a few modifications,
and I may have some time to hack on it soon if needed.

Note: I think indexed images are not supported by the PNM format.
      If this is true but you want to save images, you may want
      to replace the corresponding write-pnm-to-stream method with
      one that converts the indexed image to an RGB image then
      calls write-pnm with it.
      If I am wrong and PNM does support indexed images, then please
      let us know so we can add the code (or you can of course send
      the code directly).

Matthieu Villeneuve