[clpython-devel] New errors in recent CVS

Jason Nielsen jdn at math.carleton.ca
Sat Jun 14 23:17:14 UTC 2008

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008, Willem Broekema wrote:

> Oops... obviously I did not test the latest changes on SBCL. I just
> committed fixes for SBCL, so it should run fine for you in an hour.

No worries, I'll take care of testing sbcl for you ;-)!  All fixed and
back in business, thanks!

> I am making changes to the compiler, in order to implement yield
> expression soon - that is the most important missing language feature.

Great!  Any plans for python 3k?  The one PEP that looks very common lisp
friendly is 3107 (function annotations) which should make clpython scream!
I'm pretty excited about clpython as it looks like a tool I can use more
generally in both my research and teaching.  I'm sick of doing mixed
language programming in Fortran, C, R, Matlab... etc!  For various
reasons, common lisp, which I appreciate greatly, isn't a language I can
use much for either outside of my own personal tinkering... which sucks!
Actually, I got interested in common lisp to help me generate bindings
since it is generally just a bunch of tedious boilerplate and lisp was the
perfect tool ... sadly I got hooked ;-)!  As an example of my plight I
dare you for instance to try and teach numerical analysis to math majors
using common lisp in the labs ... most of the students have only very
rudimentary programming skills and what they do possess is usually some
java or C++.. barf (the dare is a death wish ;-)!).

> Yeah, that's going incredibly well! I hope the team continuous playing
> like it did in those two matches. Btw here's a great picture of the
> orange crowd: http://www.flickr.com/photos/irouge/2568725720/

Indeed, if they keep playing such a fluid and dangerous counterattack they
won't be easy to beat.  The sleeper team I'd keep my eye out for is
Croatia (although I guess not as much of a sleeper anymore)... I've been
impressed by their play.  May the orange be with you ;-)!

Jason