[clfswm-devel] Some patches

Philippe Brochard pbrochard at common-lisp.net
Sat Oct 13 13:01:03 UTC 2012

Philippe Brochard writes:

>> Michael Raitza writes:
>
>> Hi,

Hi again,

>> I prepared a series of patches mostly improvements.

[... Patches already applied ...]

>> In the fifth patch I have refactored run-program-from-query-string. This
>> function could not be run from main mode because it binds the λ the
>> function list to be run when leaving the second mode. So it was never
>> called before entering and leaving second mode somewhen later. This
>> patch introduces the function run-program-from-query-string-fun that
>> does the actual query and generates the function.
>> run-program-from-query-string uses its output. It also introduces
>> run-program-from-query-string-main to be called from main mode.
>>
> I'll take a look at this one tomorrow.

I've commited, in your name, a slightly simpler version. You have the
*in-second-mode* variable which indicates in which mode you are (main or
second).

>> The third and fifth patch seem to be related, because they are causes by
>> the differences of the functions called in second mode from functions
>> providing the same functionality in main mode. Can't we consolidate
>> these two concepts?
>>
> Same thing.

You can use the *in-second-mode* to know in which mode you're and the
leave-second-mode function can be called from the main mode.
So, you can build some functions made for both the main mode and the
second mode.

> Many thanks for your patch!
>
> While your are motivated to go deeply in the CLFSWM source code. There
> is a thing CLFSWM will always lake if nobody other than me have a look
                                lack (this one is hilarious, sorry)
> at it: CLFSWM communicate poorly with the outside: it is not fully netwm
> compliant. You can have a look at src/netwm-util.lisp and at some
> functions like netwm-update-desktop-property.
> I think there may be a time when users will want to use CLFSWM with
> Gnome or KDE. netwm-util.lisp is here for this but this is really not a
> priority for me.

Another request by Valentin Plechinger is the copy/paste method for
query string. I've little time to implement it since I'm working on
simplifying the CLFSWM build system (leave ./confugure && make && make
install) and enhance the load.lisp.

Regards,

Philippe