[clfswm-devel] Stuck in window swap mode

Philippe Brochard pbrochard at common-lisp.net
Wed Nov 28 22:43:15 UTC 2012

Duncan McGreggor writes:

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Philippe Brochard <pbrochard at common-lisp.net>
> wrote:
>
>     Duncan McGreggor writes:
>
>     > On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 9:31 PM, Ales Guzik <ales.guzik at gmail.com> wrote:
>     >
>     >     Hi Duncan.
>     >
>     >     Welcome to the list!
>     >
>     Hi Duncan, welcome too.
>
>     >
>     > Thanks, Ales!
>     >
>     >     If I correctly understood what happens, than it might be expected
>     >     behaviour. If you set change layout and answer "No" to "Keep frame
>     children
>     >     position?", than clicking child frame rearranges frames in such a way
>     that
>     >     clicked frame becomes the first. Clicks inside first (usually top
>     left)
>     >     frame should work as expected (be processed by target application).
>     Just
>     >     answer "yes" when setting layout to avoid this behaviour.
>     >
>     >
>     > Bingo. You nailed it -- that was exactly what happened (just tried it
>     out).
>     >
>     > It seems that the only "fix" is to go back to the layout menu, ask to
>     tile, and
>     > then say "yes" to keeping the child positions. Is that the case? Or am I
>     > missing a short-cut somewhere?
>     >
>     No, you missed nothing. This is the default behaviour but I think it's
>     not appropriate. We'll revert to a more conventional child in fixed
>     positions.
>
> Nice.

Oops, sorry. This is already the case. I haven't look at this part of
the code recently.

>     > Thanks again! I'm *really* enjoying clfswm ... looking forward to
>     creating some
>     > blog posts and (hopefully) some buzz around it ;-)
>     >
>     Good to hear this! And thanks for the buzz :-)
>

> My pleasure :-)
>
> As a side note, I was quite distressed to find that the Wikipedia page for
> clfswm had been deleted recently. Reading the comments, it seems that the
> editors are up to their usual tricks. However, once we get more blog posts out
> there, an article or two, and with the great page on common-lisp.net for
> clfswm, we should be able to get a page back up there that doesn't get a
> delete-reaction. It would also be good to get us added to the various wiki
> pages that compare tiling window managers.

The Wikipedia team is in its right. We need more view before being
referenced in Wikipedia. We can't use Wikipedia as a publicity place
(that's what I've done by writing the CLFSWM page and I understand their
reaction).

> Anyway, more on that later -- for now, I need to improve my clfswm chops ;-)

Thanks for your perseverance!

> And nice work, everyone!

Thanks!