[clfswm-devel] CLFSWM with QuickLisp

Xavier Maillard xma at gnu.org
Fri Dec 3 06:07:23 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 22:02:50 +0100, Philippe Brochard <pbrochard at common-lisp.net> wrote:

> Hi Xavier, nice to see you on this list again :)

Long time no see :) I was quite busy lately :D

> >> I'm happy to say that CLFSWM has been added to QuickLisp:
> >
> > [ SNIP ]
> >
> >> And that's it. CLFSWM is running.
> >>
> >> Nice. No?
> >
> > In what is this so different (or even easier) than the current way ?
> >
> Well, you do not have to fight anymore with dependencies and clx
> building.

Hum ok. I did not read what quicklisp was before answering ;)

> It's not really relevant with clfswm even if the build process is more
> simple on a fresh distro with no lisp installed (just install one and
> type few command lines). Quicklisp is independent of distro packages
> managers and handle dependencies automatically.
> But try to install McCLIM or Hunchentoot (for example): the building
> process is very simple. Doing it manually is an headache.

Sounds like a good thing.

> BTW, there is at least three ways to build clfswm. I let the user choose
> the one it needs:
>
> 1) Your_lisp --load load.lisp
> 2) ./configure && make && make install
> 3) QuickLisp
>
> In the two first, you have to take care of clx. In the third, its
> automatic.
>
> Personally, I use the first in development and the second for the clfswm
> running my desktop.

I really need to reinstall my notebook and have it running X again (thus
clfswm). For more than a couple of years now, I am solely running in the
linux console :/ (did I tell I was quite busy lately ? :D)

In fact, I feel more comfortable in the console now than in any
graphical environment. Though I really liked (and still like I guess)
CLFSWM, there are things I would probably change if I switch back. But
that's another story and I have no time now to explain what I'd change
;)

To be continued..

> PS: The configure script now use your clfswm in contrib. Thanks :)

Glad it is useful.

/Xavier