[clfswm-devel] CLFSWM with QuickLisp

Philippe Brochard pbrochard at common-lisp.net
Thu Dec 2 21:04:08 UTC 2010

Xavier Maillard writes:

> Hi Philippe,

Hi Xavier, nice to see you on this list again :)

> On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 23:06:27 +0100, Philippe Brochard <pbrochard at common-lisp.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I'm happy to say that CLFSWM has been added to QuickLisp:
>
> [ SNIP ]
>
>> And that's it. CLFSWM is running.
>>
>> Nice. No?
>
> In what is this so different (or even easier) than the current way ?

Well, you do not have to fight anymore with dependencies and clx
building.
It's not really relevant with clfswm even if the build process is more
simple on a fresh distro with no lisp installed (just install one and
type few command lines). Quicklisp is independent of distro packages
managers and handle dependencies automatically.
But try to install McCLIM or Hunchentoot (for example): the building
process is very simple. Doing it manually is an headache.

BTW, there is at least three ways to build clfswm. I let the user choose
the one it needs:

1) Your_lisp --load load.lisp
2) ./configure && make && make install
3) QuickLisp

In the two first, you have to take care of clx. In the third, its
automatic.

Personally, I use the first in development and the second for the clfswm
running my desktop.

Regards,

Philippe

PS: The configure script now use your clfswm in contrib. Thanks :)