[clfswm-devel] User API proposition

Philippe Brochard pbrochard at common-lisp.net
Sun Mar 23 07:48:45 UTC 2008

Xavier Maillard writes:

>    > It is meant to be a discussion on the CLFSWM  features at a user stand
>    > point, so feel free to correct, comment and etc.
>
>    Cool, I've commented it. In particular I don't see the need for the
>    frame layer.
>
> I read the explanations and as far as I understand, the problem
> is more about the terminology than anything else. Frame == Window
> is the current CLFSWM implementation.

I think a frame is not exactly a window because in the actual clfswm
you can't manage the geometry of a window. You have to use a group to
do that.

To resume:

Actually:  window -> X window (no geometry)
           group  -> geometry + group of children

Cyrille: window -> X window (no geometry)
         frame  -> geometry + group of children
         group  -> group of children (no geometry)

Which one do you prefer? I'm for the first but open to any ideas to
switch to the second.
See the "Request for comments: changing the meaning of group in
CLFSWM."  thread.

> That makes me think we should probably add a glossary page somewhere.

This will go in the front page on the clfswm website. But while the
code is not stable this is delayed to a next time.

Philippe

--
Philippe Brochard    <pbrochard at common-lisp.net>
                      http://hocwp.free.fr