[cl-who-devel] [hunchentoot-devel] edicl & Quicklisp - formal release tarballs or production-ready master branches?

Sebastian Tennant sebyte at smolny.plus.com
Fri Sep 23 08:42:16 UTC 2011

Quoth Edi Weitz <edi at weitz.de>:
> [...] I /think/ the unreleased version of CL-WHO contains architectural
> changes of mine which so far haven't been sufficiently documented and/or
> tested.

Not surprisingly, the bulk of the changes are in who.lisp and a lot of these
arise from fifteen function definitions having been moved to the newly
introduced file; util.lisp.  Disregarding these, along with changes reuslting
from the introduction of HTML5 support and the introduction of the test suite,
and the only 'architectural' changes we need to consider (vis-a-vis testing and
documentation) can be summarised thus:

 Multiple changes to function CONVERT-ATTRIBUTES.

 Function REPLACE-HTM & TREE-TO-COMMANDS-AUX removed, affecting functions
 TREE-TO-TEMPLATE & TREE-TO-COMMANDS.

 util.lisp introduces two new (unexported) macros; WITH-UNIQUE-NAMES (used in
 WITH-HTML-OUTPUT) & WITH-REBINDING (currently unused).

 Further changes (unrelated to WITH-UNIQUE-NAMES) to macro WITH-HTML-OUTPUT.

 Functions ESCAPE-STRING-ISO-8859 & SHOW-HTML-EXPANSION removed, not affecting
 any other functions.

As far as documentation goes (inline and in index.html), there's not that much
that still needs doing, except perhaps:

 1. TREE-TO-COMMANDS lacks a documentation string.  Not part of the API.

 2. The lambda list of WITH-HTML-OUTPUT includes a new REST parameter which is
    not documented in the docstring.  Very much part of the API so needs
    documenting in index.html too.

 3. If WITH-REBINDING is not going to be used, should it not be removed, or a
    note added explaining why it may be used in the future.  Not part of the
    API.

 4. Canonical home of CL-WHO moved from BKNR to github - needs updating in
    index.html.

It'd be great if you could find time to look at 1, 2 & 3 Edi, (assuming these
are the architectural changes you're referring to).  I'm simply not qualified
(yet).

I can start testing however, and that is something I hope to get around to
soon.

Sebastian

P.S. Tarball (attached) may come in handy - it contains old and new versions of
     the some of the functions in question which I used to produce simplified
     diffs.

--
Emacs' AlsaPlayer - Music Without Jolts
Lightweight, full-featured and mindful of your idyllic happiness.