[cl-who-devel] Unexpected behavior of pre directive with indented output

Jeff Cunningham jeffrey at cunningham.net
Sat Dec 29 20:20:23 UTC 2007

Edi Weitz wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 11:40:01 -0800, Jeff Cunningham <jeffrey at cunningham.net> wrote:
>

>> Such as?
>>

> TEXTAREA, for example.
>
> There are more.  I don't remember the details, but I've had cases
> where whitespace between tags in tables changed the way the tables
> were rendered by certain browsers.
>

>> It doesn't seem wise to have a debugging mode that changes the
>> behavior of what it is you are trying to debug.
>>

> I didn't say "debugging mode," I said that it's there for the purpose
> of debugging.  I sometimes (rarely) use it if I want to look at the
> generated HTML.  In production environments I always turn the
> indentation of.
>
> CL-WHO is all about output and :INDENT T clearly changes the output.
>
> Edi.

Fair enough. Might be nice to stick line in the 'with-html-output
description like: "Note: indentation will change the behavior of certain
HTML tags,  such as <pre>, <textarea> and possibly others. "

Also, the word "indented" is misspelled in the sentence: "However, if
|/indent/| is /true/ line breaks will be inserted and nested tags will
be intended properly. " in the same paragraph.

--Jeff