[cl-typesetting-devel] exscribe backend to cl-typesetting

Marc Battyani marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com
Sat Jun 17 18:14:41 UTC 2006

"Faré" <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>at long last, I've reserved time to write a backend for exscribe to
>produce PDF, and the obvious candidate is cl-typesetting. However, two
>things are stopping me at this point:
>
>* the cl-typesetting license is considered non-DFSG free, because its
>advertising clause not only mandate advertising for derivative
>products (in a way as obnoxious as the original BSD license) but also
>for using products (should all my scribe program suddenly have to
>include a disclaimer just because they can be used with a
>cl-typesetting backend?)
>
>* there seems to be no obvious way to do footnotes, and my technical
>experience with cl-typesetting is not sufficient at this point to add
>this feature. I could convert footnotes to end-of-text notes in the
>meantime just like I do with the HTML backend, but that would be a
>shame.
>
>Is there any evolution to expect on these fronts? And/or what can be done?

OK the first one is easy, I will revert to a BSD sans advertising clause.
The idea here was not to bother people but in the contrary to help people to
find web sites/applications using cl-typesetting so that they could say to
managers/clients//teachers/etc.: Look we can use cl-typesetting to generate
documents it's already used by all those web sites/applications.

The second one is on my todo list but unfortunately I have an insane amount
of work these days so I can't tell you when I will be able to do this.

Marc