[cl-typesetting-devel] exscribe backend to cl-typesetting

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 16:49:36 UTC 2006

Dear all,

at long last, I've reserved time to write a backend for exscribe to
produce PDF, and the obvious candidate is cl-typesetting. However, two
things are stopping me at this point:

* the cl-typesetting license is considered non-DFSG free, because its
advertising clause not only mandate advertising for derivative
products (in a way as obnoxious as the original BSD license) but also
for using products (should all my scribe program suddenly have to
include a disclaimer just because they can be used with a
cl-typesetting backend?)

* there seems to be no obvious way to do footnotes, and my technical
experience with cl-typesetting is not sufficient at this point to add
this feature. I could convert footnotes to end-of-text notes in the
meantime just like I do with the HTML backend, but that would be a
shame.

Is there any evolution to expect on these fronts? And/or what can be done?

The libertarian revolution will be won, not when the last robber is hanged with
the bowels of the last fraudster, but when the ever recurrent wannabee robbers
and fraudsters are met with the good-hearted laughter of men who know they are
well-armed to resist both physically and intellectually.