[cl-l10n-devel] enable/disable-l10n-syntax

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 14:59:50 UTC 2006

> I've taken a look at your patch and it seems quite nice,
> the only thing i'm not too sure of is that it statically
> binds in the locale name when enable-l10n-syntax is run.
> I'm leaning more along the lines of 'when you want a specific
> locale just rebind *locale* to something appropriate'.
> So instead of
>
> (enable-l10n-syntax *my-bundle* "af_ZA")
> #i"howareyou" =>  "Hoe lyk it"
>
> we would say
> (enable-l10n-syntax *my-bundle*)
> #i"howareyou" =>  "Hoe lyk it" or "How are you" depending on the
> value of *locale* when the program is actually run.

sure, that's much better. in fact since then many things changed here
locally, we were working on cl-l10n in several bursts.

as a sidenote: arnesi has a quite smart (enable-curly-reader) with
which you can do things like

{with-l10n-syntax
  (foo (bar #"how are you"))}

or

{(with-l10n-syntax #\x)
  (foo (bar #x"how are you"))}

and the stuff will be expanded into resource lookup calls at
read-time. of course you can still call (enable-l10n-syntax) at the
top of a file and then for the rest of the file being compiled it will
be enabled.

> I'm not in a position right now to apply a patch but i'll get to
> it in a short while.

never mind, now that i'll have commit rights i'll take a look at it
myself and commit the non-intrusive changes. the rest will wait until
further discussion.

thanks,

- attila

(alias 101 on irc &no 'its not lisp code :)