[cffi-devel] XCVB patch for CFFI

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 01:25:32 UTC 2009

2009/10/19 Luís Oliveira <luismbo at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 8:10 PM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Here is what I use to compile Bordeaux-Threads with XCVB.
>>
>> Is it possible to apply it upstream?
>
> I'd be more inclined to apply this if the changes could be contained
> within a single file. Plus, since XCVB isn't AFAICT ready for general
> consumption and none of the developers use it, it would very likely go
> stale soon.

The changes could conceivably be contained in a single file, though
unhappily not with the current version of XCVB. Also, it makes things
noticeably harder for the Make backend if the meaning of a file
depends on data in a central file shared by all - basically, you can't
let Make rely on timestamps anymore, and/or you must rebuild
everything when the central file changes. Which is one of the
annoyances of ASDF.

Moreover, note that going stale in wholly independent of whether or
not it is in a single file. The data to maintain isn't bigger or
smaller in either cases - it's just in a different place.

Also, because unlike simpler systems, the CFFI system definition does
a lot of conditional compilation, it is not the kind of things that is
fully automated by the conversion process. And so, it is much easier
to merge information if the patch is applied and a few things may
possibly have to be updated, than if it isn't, and the next user will
have to redo the work from scratch or apply a stale patch.

I think the question of which EVAL-WHENs are or aren't necessary is
more damning. I admit I didn't try to understand what should be
eval-when'ed where and took a shotgun approach to getting my system to
work.

If you are still unwilling to commit, I understand. I will "just" have
to go through the pains of maintaining my mirror.

An updated patch is attached.

Those who place above society the power of politics and bureaucracies as
solutions to all human problems ignore that when they are not all too humans,
politicians and bureaucrats are oh so inhuman.