[cffi-devel] uffi.asd vs uffi-compat.asd

Jeff Cunningham j.k.cunningham at comcast.net
Sat Aug 22 14:26:20 UTC 2009

Luís Oliveira wrote:

> uffi.asd was added by popular demand. (Or maybe it was just *one*
> user, I don't recall.) I'd be glad to rename it, but as I've mentioned
> in a previous email, I'm worried that it'd do more harm than good.
> Suggestions on how to solve the problem are most welcome.

   1. As it stands, even using asdf:*central-registry* is a problem,
      because there's no way to use both. Since they both have the same
      name only one can exist with it using the asdf system in any
      normal fashion.
   2. Both UFFI and CFFI have a right to exist. The gcc analogy isn't
      valid - these aren't compilers that users expect to be
      substituting one for another. It doesn't matter that the CFFI
      people don't like the style of code writing that goes on in the
      ELEPHANT group. They chose to use UFFI for whatever reason and
      should have the right to expect that some other development group
      won't break their code via the ASDF package system unless there is
      a dependency relationship.
   3. Since UFFI came up with the name first, I believe most people
      would agree they have a prior right to the name.

I think you should change the name of your file to *uffi-cffi-compat.asd

*Then, inform your users of the fact, and if they were relying on an
implicit use of CFFI in place of UFFI they should change their projects
to *explicitly* use CFFI by way of this definition file.

I think it is the right thing to do.

--Jeff