[cffi-devel] uffi.asd vs uffi-compat.asd

Luís Oliveira luismbo at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 20:49:55 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Jeff Cunningham
<j.k.cunningham at comcast.net> wrote:
> I just tried to install elephant and ran into an annoying problem which
> could only be resolved by renaming the cffi/uffi-compat/uffi.asd to
> uffi-compat.asd. The problem seems to be one of identity theft, since
> elephant uses uffi, and it was picking up the cffi compatibility code
> (which does not appear to be sufficiently compatible for elephant),
> instead of what it expected.

Elephant breaks UFFI's abstractions and assumes SB-ALIEN is being used
behind the scenes. That naturally breaks with cffi-uffi-compat.

CFFI's uffi.asd is just a convenient way of using cffi-uffi-compat
without editing third-party systems and I didn't expect it to be
picked up automatically by tools such as clbuild.

I would gladly rename it. It would work just as well for its original
purpose, since as long as you create a uffi.asd symlink,
(asdf:find-system :uffi) will pick it up. However, I suspect there
might be other code in clbuild that does in fact use cffi-uffi-compat
and I wouldn't want to break it. Can anyone confirm if there is such a
dependency?

--
Luís Oliveira
http://student.dei.uc.pt/~lmoliv/