[cffi-devel] uffi.asd vs uffi-compat.asd

Jeff Cunningham j.k.cunningham at comcast.net
Fri Aug 21 15:01:00 UTC 2009

I just tried to install elephant and ran into an annoying problem which
could only be resolved by renaming the cffi/uffi-compat/uffi.asd to
uffi-compat.asd. The problem seems to be one of identity theft, since
elephant uses uffi, and it was picking up the cffi compatibility code
(which does not appear to be sufficiently compatible for elephant),
instead of what it expected.

I also know that there has been prior discussion about this - I didn't
read all of it, but found some on this list by Googling - I wasn't
around the list at the time.

Is there a way that this can be resolved? It seems that both libraries
should be able to coexist on a system, as there are applications which
expect them to be there. It also seems that UFFI has a prior claim to
its own name for a system file.

As it stands, everytime I do a clbuild upgrade I am going to have to
make sure I fix the link.

Regards,
--Jeff