[cells-gtk-devel] Re: Comments II for "First steps" how to

Peter Hildebrandt peter.hildebrandt at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 15:34:36 UTC 2008

Friedrich,

I take your feedback very seriously.  I started from scratch with a
fresh sbcl config (on ubuntu 7.10) and went step by step through the
guide.  I found a number of typos/inconsistencies which are all fixed
now.  For me, thinks work perfectly now.

So let us try to track down what is different for you and how we can
handle those cases.

Friedrich Dominicus wrote:
> Trying to compile the libcellsgtk.so library has not worked without
> modifcation to the Makefile:
> all:
> 	gcc -fPIC -c gtk-adds.c `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0`
> 	gcc -shared -o libcellsgtk.so gtk-adds.o `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0`

For me the current makefile is fine.  I am not a C programmer, so what
does -fPIC do?  I see you removed glib from the pkg-config command.
gtk-adds.c includes glib -- does that make a difference?

My gcc is "gcc (GCC) 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)".

> Trying to comile cells-gtk results in another error:
> Execution of a form compiled with errors.
> Form:
>   (DEFCTYPE GTK-STRING POINTER DOCUMENTATION
>           string type for cffi type translation)
> Compile-time error:
>   (during macroexpansion of (CFFI:DEFCTYPE :GTK-STRING ...))
> error while parsing arguments to DEFMACRO CFFI:DEFCTYPE:
>   invalid number of elements in
>     (:GTK-STRING :POINTER :DOCUMENTATION
>      "string type for cffi type translation") ..
>    [Condition of type SB-INT:COMPILED-PROGRAM-ERROR]

You are using a non-supported version of cffi.  Try the latest version
(not the darcs tree) from the cffi project page.  I describe this in
more detail in my guide.

Current work is on making cells-gtk work with the latest Cells, so there
are no resources to work on CFFI right now, especially since cells-gtk
works with the latest release.

Regards,
Peter