[cells-gtk-devel] UTF-8 support

Dmitri Hrapof hrapof at common-lisp.ru
Thu Jan 17 11:32:13 UTC 2008

Bormuth at web.de wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> is cells-gtk supposed to handle encoding transparently ?
>
> On SBCL I tried
>
>      (mk-label :text "foo äöüß bar")
>
> with some special characters between foo and bar. To my
> disappointment the label fails to display completely.
>
> Shouldn't cells-gtk validate and eventually convert all
> strings it takes? Or can I somehow tell SBCL to emit
> strings in UTF8 only ?

With cells-gtk I had to convert strings to utf-8 explicitly.

(defun sto (s) (sb-ext:string-to-octets s :external-format :utf-8))
(gtk-label-new (sto "Формат посылки"))

It worked, and I didn't look for another solution. (In CLORB, by the
way, I meddled with marshalling/unmarshalling and made it transparent
for utf-8 <-> Lisp string).

And CLG handles utf-8 transparently. (Yes, I know I'm always saying CLG
is better :-) In my defense I can say I plan to use cells to reimplement
data model of my application).

Sincerely yours,
Dmitri