[cells-gtk-devel] UTF-8 support

Peter Hildebrandt peter.hildebrandt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 11:16:12 UTC 2008

Bormuth at web.de wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> is cells-gtk supposed to handle encoding transparently ?
>
> On SBCL I tried
>
>      (mk-label :text "foo äöüß bar")
>
> with some special characters between foo and bar. To my
> disappointment the label fails to display completely.
>
> Shouldn't cells-gtk validate and eventually convert all
> strings it takes? Or can I somehow tell SBCL to emit
> strings in UTF8 only ?

Seconded.  Using charcodes instead of the literal characters does not
help.  Where's the right entry point to get started with this?  Maybe
something in cffi/gtk-ffi?

Ken, I cc'd you because I feel you have quite a bit of intuition with
cffi/gtk-ffi issues. Maybe you have an idea where we could get started.

Peter.