[cells-gtk-devel] Re: Anything new for me to show off at ECLM 2008?

Peter Hildebrandt peter.hildebrandt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 08:52:41 UTC 2008

Well, there's something wrong with the cells cvs again, so it would
not let me commit my latest changes. You can grab the latest version
here:

http://www.washbear-network.de/fritz/pub/cells-gtk3.zip

My suggestions:

(1) Cairo Drawing Area

I have the cairo drawing area thing working by now and put in a simple
example (creates boxes and circles and random positions, then they
react on mouse over, can be selected,  dragged around, and you can use
a select box (like in windows explorer) to select and move many shapes
at once).  I finally took the time and get the kids slot to work
properly, so you can have ruled kids slots on your drawing primitives
and have cells create other shapes for you (say, you want to draw a
sun -- then you start with a yellow filled circle and have a kids rule
creating some lines for the rays.  The number of rays may depend on a
widget (and so can the length), and you have a "declarative drawing").

(2) Tree View

>From the stuff present in the demo I personally like the tree view
example, since it lets you explore the actual object hierarchy of the
demo.  I don't even know whethe something like this could be done in C
at all.

(3) Cells Tree View

Works like a charm -- as long as you don't delete stuff from the
observed structure (I ran into a conceptual problem with cells3 here,
gonna ask you on the cells list when I have the time to deal with
that).  Anyway, I deactivated the delete button, and the rest is still
pretty nice.

(4) Threading

It is relly nice and lispy to use the repl to change properties of the
windows currently displayed and to add and remove widgets
interactively (especially if you have a background in C) -- but I
don't know whether that works in MS Windows.  Just checked,
bordeaux-threads on windows does not support Allegro.  Bummer.

(5) MAYBE: cells-ode + open gl

That'd be really neat -- if I figure out the opengl drawing area and
port my current physics simulator code to cells-ode as a backend plus
gtk-gl as a front end.  They say there's a weekend coming up, so stay
tuned.

Cheers,
Peter