[cells-gtk-devel] (test-gtk:gtk-demo) failed

Peter Hildebrandt peter.hildebrandt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 16:14:03 UTC 2008

Scott,

> I downloaded and expanded the root.tar.gz file which you gave the link
> for, but the instructions in install.txt say to edit the load.lisp file,
> which is not included in root.tar.gz. The other version
> (cells-gtk-2006-06-30.zip) has a load.lisp file.

Right, in CVS this one is located outside the "root" folder, and thus
not in the tar I linked.  You can navigate to it using the CVS linked
from the project page or download it directly:

http://common-lisp.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/load.lisp?rev=1.4&root=cells-gtk

> I added the gtk path C:\Program Files\Common Files\GTK\2.0\bin; to the
> path variable in the control panel. The first time I tried to install
> cells-gtk, I hadn't done this, so it failed to install. After I added
> gtk to the path, (load "load") installed cells-gtk without any errors,
> but failed to run (test-gtk:gtk-demo).

As I said, I have no experience with windows, so I can't speak to that.
In linux thinks are a little easier, because pretty much every
distribution comes with gtk, so that part of the equation can be taken
for granted.

Personally I use asdf to load cells-gtk, not the load.lisp facility, but
that's a matter of taste.  So feel just stay with the (load "load") for now.

The asdf stuff is a little harder to set up, but once correctly
configured, loading my application automatically pulls in all required
libraries including cells-gtk.  Again, no idea how to do this in
clisp/windows.  I wrote an introduction for sbcl/linux over here (which
I admit is rather technical):

http://www.washbear-network.de/peterblog/getting-started-with-cells-gtk/

Back to the problem:  You saw Ken's post, so I suggest you open
cells-gtk/gtk-app.lisp and feature out the following two lines by
putting #+linux in front of each (about half way into the file):

(g-thread-init +c-null+)	; init threading
(gdk-threads-init)

#+linux (g-thread-init +c-null+)	; init threading
#+linux (gdk-threads-init)

Let me know if that helped.

Peter