[cells-devel] observer design question

Andy Chambers achambers.home at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 28 15:06:14 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Frank Goenninger <frgo at mac.com> wrote:
> Andy,
>
>  I don't get what you want to achieve...
>
>  Am 28.03.2008 um 14:17 schrieb Andy Chambers:
>

> > My model consists of a family tree of objects all of which have an
>  > xhtml ruled cell.  The client needs to
>  > be updated if the value of this slot has changed.  However, a change
>  > in one would cascade up
>  > the tree so if we were logging these changes, and sending them down to
>  > the client, one of the
>  > things we send would be the entire document which is not what we want.
>  >
>  > How do I set up the observer to log the change only if it has not been
>  > accounted for already.
>
>  Is it:
>
>  A kid's observer is firing due to a change but that change should not
>  be reaching the client because the parent's observer's firing is
>  enough for the (web) client to react to? If so, you could suppress the
>  sending of a web client update when *parent* is bound and is not nil
>  (this is meant to mean: I have a parent, so I am a kid. As a kid I
>  don't need to update the client).

No its the other way around.  I don't want to have to send the whole page
if its just a little bit of text that's changed.  There's a javascript
library called
jquery that allows you to say things like...

$("#my-id").html("Hello World");

Translated, that means find the html element with id "my-id" and set the html
inside it to be "Hello World".  If I can just keep track of all the
little changes, I'll
send a list of these commands to be eval'd on the client.

--
Andy