[cells-devel] cell dependancies

Ken Tilton kennytilton at optonline.net
Thu Mar 27 20:35:26 UTC 2008

Andy Chambers wrote:
> I'm not sure whether I would actually need this but was wondering if
> user code can get a cell's dependancies?

Sure. The slot on the cell struct is caller-store and it is implemented
with my little fifo-queue hack. The fifth argument to an observer is the
cell being observed, nil if the model instance slot is not being
mediated by a Cell (it was initialized to a constant or optimized away).
The default variable name in defobserver if you do not list five is "c".

>  Maybe we could pass this
> information along to the javascript.

You mean propagation would happen on the client side? But don't the
client nodes always have to go back to the server to get their values?

Sorry, I have a lot of ground to make up on this web stuff. I was
thinking the web page would be a pure slave made more responsive by the
granularity of XMLHTTPRequest (xhr?).

> I've been thinking about the caching thing I mentioned on c.l.l
>
> Caching is certainly possible in javascript.  Even the browser's own
> caching system could be used if we use a REST based system although
> since we're aggregating events, this might not be so useful (lots of
> unique requests so less chance of a cache hit).  The solution would be
> to send a list of requests, and in the response, include each request
> with its resulting updates.  Add these to the cache and we should get
> more hits.

Sorry, ya lost me. :)

kenny