[cells-devel] Thought For Someone Who Would Use Cells to Do Prolog

Thomas F. Burdick tfb at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Mon May 30 20:47:21 UTC 2005

Kenny Tilton writes:

 > Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
 >
 > >Now to look at your recent changes, and to actually restore the old
 > >dependencies on backtracking.
 > >
 > Ouch, hadn't thought of that one. And the pulse-stamp, and.... have fun. :)

And the pulse-stamp.  Ay.

So, for the moment, I've made a new system: KNOB (KNowledgeable
OBjects).  In the world of KR, Cells, Cosi, etc, it's a one-trick pony
that does targeted backtracking.  If it turns out to be a good idea,
I'll try to incorporate KNOB-style backtracking (whatever that turns
out to be) into Cells.  In the meantime, it's a lot easier to make
changes to a 300-line, non-industrial-quality object system :-)

Actually, I think I've found an interesting design space.  At least
it's interesting to me, and lets me express some problems nicely yet
efficiently that I couldn't with either Cells nor KR nor Prolog.  But
I'm still working it out, so integrating it into Cells will be left
for a time when I have more confidence in my approach.

--
         ,'  .\  / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |