[cells-devel] Re: Cells 2.0 released

Thomas F. Burdick tfb at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Thu May 5 15:17:16 UTC 2005

that has been posted to comp.lang.lisp as well.

Fred Gilham <gilham at snapdragon.csl.sri.com> writes:

> > Partial support exists for CMUCL, Corman Lisp, and MCL.
>
> The docs say that one of the tests fails with CMU Lisp.  However, I
> don't see any sign of that when I run with a recent snapshot (March
> 2005).  What does this failure look like?
>
> I ran the same process in sbcl as common lisp, then compared the
> output. That is, I ran (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op :cells-test) in both.
> Then I compared the outputs.  Except for formatting and a few other
> minor issues, they were the same.
>
> Does this imply that CMUCL is runing cells 2.0 correctly?

That's good to hear, that does imply it's working correctly.  One of
the tests tickles what appears to be a bug in Gerd's constructor
optimizations, at least in 19a.  Unfortunately that means there won't
be a supported release of CMUCL until 19b, but I'll change the docs to
indicate that recent snapshots are fully supported.

That also saves me the pain of installing the most recent snapshot,
and trying to come up with a reasonably concise test case to report
the bug :-)