[cells-devel] New Cells User Feedback (includes patch!)

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Sat Apr 23 03:03:55 UTC 2005

Peter Denno wrote:

>On Friday 22 April 2005 19:09, Kenny Tilton wrote:
>

>>James,
>>
>>This is great feedback, and I agree with all of it. The only problem is
>>that there is little active interest in Cells, other than my own use of
>>it, so I am not worrying much these days about making the Cells project
>>approachable to others.
>>
>>What I did with Cells-gtk was get a heavy user or two authorized as
>>project admins so they could do things like fixing asdf-install.
>>

>I'd be one of those.
>
>I'd be happy to apply this to cells-gtk. Is this what you were referring to
>when you were referring to the "gui stuff" ?

I think James was talking about Cells (active directory) being buried
under cell-cultures along with the Cello "gui stuff".

>I think I know the sort of problem you are trying to address here.
>
>You might not see this in the distribution for a few weeks. Some time in May
>I'm going to look into getting cells-gtk running on sbcl, among other things.
>

>>I suggest you poke around and see if you want to use Cells for anything,
>>and if so we can sort out the mess in CVS. I want to look at moving
>>Cello out of the Cells project and back to the Cello project on c-l.net,
>>and get cells out from under cells-culture back to being a top-level
>>module of the Cells project.
>>
>>Of course Cells-gtk would then have to be told the new home of Cells
>>(and utils-kt and hello-c), so it could be a messy week.
>>

>We have a tarball distribution to weather messy weeks.

Don't encourage me. <g>

>>Which is why I
>>will hold off until folks such as yourself pester me for, oh, two weeks
>>straight. :)
>>
>>Thanks again for the input.
>>
>>kenny
>>

>Hey kenny is this really you? It looks like the shift key is starting to work
>on your keyboard ;^)

moment of weakness. :)

well, keep the pestering up (13 more days to go) and we can do something.

Is hello-c (or whatever we want to call "UFFI extended to support
callbacks into Lisp from C as well as CLisp") going to get enough
attention to warrant its own c-l.net project?

Should utils-kt quietly be redundantly added to Cells and hello-c? Or is
it fine as a module under Cells? I doubt it is worth making into its own
project, as at least one other did.

etc etc.