[cells-devel] Cello updates and... OS X or Bust!!!!

Kenneth Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Mon Oct 18 05:55:13 UTC 2004

On Oct 17, 2004, at 4:20 PM, Thomas F. Burdick wrote:

> Kenny Tilton writes:
>>
>> So whoop-dee-doo, Cello heads for OS X!
>
> Cool.  What dev environment are you using over here?

Undecided. Probably Lispworks, but Frank is doing OpneMCL, so I /might/
look at that to make collaboration easier. otoh, it would be sweet
filling in two checkboxes on the OS x Implementation grid. Right now I
am just running Fink Commander to see how far I can get with the libs.
Looked like a quick win until I got some really embarrassing (for open
source or fink) errors on ImageMagick. But the gaffes look manageable.

>   You mentioned on
> cll something about there being an aspect of asdf that you couldn't
> abide -- since you're now in the world of no-Allegro-IDE, what would
> that be?

You probably will remember: the ACL project manager loads everything in
the order the source is listed. When it gets to something out of date,
it recompiles. Both ASDF and mk::defsystem first look for things out of
date and try to recompile (tho dependencies are honored).

I like the ACL approach because I can handle some dependencies via the
order of the files. I can see the advantage of the other approach (auto
handling of changes to macros), but having tried to adjust to the
asdf/mk way I still find myself longing for the acl way. But I might
come around on this some day.