[cells-devel] PortaGlut 1.0

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Tue Feb 24 03:45:27 UTC 2004

A mail message to y'all bounced on a bad address, and the bounce won't
show me the original. But I did post a similar to cll:

OK, 3D-lovers, the (model) matrix is now your oyster (if UFFI loves you):

   http://www.tilton-technology.com/cellophane.html

Under "Early Cello Screen Shots", first paragraph, Portaglut (in the
form of dvx.ZIP, lies behind the "bindings" link.

I just built and ran via ACL LPRs and ACL using ASDF. See "build.lisp"
now at top level in new DVX directory, replacing DEV which was bad for
Linux/Unix. Build.lisp was in the cello directory.

The test function, as you will see in build.lisp, is (ogb::lesson-14).
The string "NeHe etc " swigns around in 3D. Hit esacpe to quit.

This will be quite a Hello,World. It involves successfully building
bindings to opengl as well as FreeGlut, and it shows callbacks
Lisp->C->Lisp work (and loading shared libs).

Note that this does not involve Cells, any Cello gui, FTGL, or
ImageMagick. It also has hard-coded DLL locations and more out the
wazoo. Seek and destroy.

btw, lesson-14 used to have code in there that used the glut bitmap
fonts as well as the glut stroke fonts now in there. those calls brought
down freeglut and the Lisp ide, so I yanked them.

caveat: Originally developed/tested on XP/ACL62, then ported to
NT/ACL501 to resolve a problem there. I have not yet swapped this back
to my ACL62/XP setup to make sure it still works there, but I will
tonight sometime.

caveat: To make UFFI work under ACL501 I snuck a conditionalization onto
 one place where the ACL62-only  :strings-convert option was used.

invitation: questions, comments, fixes for new environments.

however: regrettably, I myself won't have time to come up with fixes for
new environments.

peace, love, and the z-axis,

   kenny