[cells-devel] help wanted

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Mon Feb 23 04:31:44 UTC 2004

Speaking of "where is help needed", depending on one's skill set, here
are some that I have been deferring:

These two would be good for a strong C and esp. win32 programmer:

-- Freeglut/win32: calling glutMainLoop leaves the app taking 100% of
CPU. This is weird because win32 apps are supposed to wait until their
windowproc gets called. Possibly they are failing to handle repaint
events (in which case I think you just keep getting called again and
again) or they are doing something to cause windows to send the app
events non-stop, such as by invalidating the window after handling each
paint event to cause another to be sent straight away.

-- Freeglut/win32: before the current release I had code which called
glutMainLoopEvent to handle one event at a time. When I resumed work on
Cello under the latest FG I found that broken in some way such the I
simply did not receive all the events I should.

And if anyone is strong on OpenGL:

-- Drawing seems mighty fast, and I have a feeling most of the
bottleneck is not in the drawing in which case we shouldn't spend too
much time on this, but I am sure we could get even better performance
via standard OpenGL tuning techniques such as display lists.

kenny

--
http://tilton-technology.com