[cello-devel] scroller

Thomas F. Burdick tfb at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Apr 8 07:15:48 UTC 2004

Kenny Tilton writes:

 > Do I know how to make friends, or what?

Heh, reeeaaaly diplomatic.

[snip]

 > clicking above or below the thumb now correctlt moves just a
 > page. oops, which reminds me, I have to implement the feature which
 > says that holding after the click makes the scroller scroll by
 > pages until the mouse is released, albeit after waiting
 > double-click time.

Ick, this sounds like the road to grunginess.  Have you read about
Garnet's interactors?  The manual is here:

  http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/garnet/garnet/doc/inter-manual.ps

The idea is that you code up support for a given type of interaction
(say click-and-drag or double-click) once, then associate an
interactor with a widget, to get a widget with a certain interactive
style.

BTW, the author is Brad Myers, who you might like.  I recently found
his 2001 paper on one-way constraints systems, where he concludes
(among other things) that lazy and eager evaluation offer the same
performance.

--
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |