[Bordeaux-threads-devel] Deprecating recursive locks

Stelian Ionescu sionescu at cddr.org
Sun Apr 22 14:41:03 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 01:48 +0400, Anton Vodonosov wrote:

> 17.04.2012, 20:14, "Vladimir Sedach" <vsedach at gmail.com>:
> > I think it is a very good idea.
> >
> > When are you planning the 1.0 release? It would be nice to go through
> > all the systems dependent on bordeaux-threads in Quicklisp and notify
> > the maintainers of any that use recursive locks to fix their code.
> >

> If the public API is changed in a not-backward-compatible way, I would
> suggest to release new ASDF system (bordeaux-threads2), and
> leave the old version available in quicklisp forever.
>
> People who are ready to use new version, just add bordeaux-thread2
> into their ASDF dependency. Others are able to use old version.
>
> This is a good practice. And it costs nothing.
>
> Some links on this subject:
> http://lispcaveats.tumblr.com/post/13259176455/ffi-linking-against-shared-libraries

That post contains a good analysis of the problem, but then gives the
worst possible advice to solve it

> http://semver.org/

Point 5 says "Major version zero (0.y.z) is for initial development.
Anything may change at any time. The public API should not be considered
stable". So no problem there

--
Stelian Ionescu a.k.a. fe[nl]ix
http://common-lisp.net/project/iolib