[Bordeaux-threads-devel] Deprecating recursive locks

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 04:15:14 UTC 2012

> If the public API is changed in a not-backward-compatible way, I would
> suggest to release new ASDF system (bordeaux-threads2), and
> leave the old version available in quicklisp forever.
>
> People who are ready to use new version, just add bordeaux-thread2
> into their ASDF dependency. Others are able to use old version.
>
> This is a good practice. And it costs nothing.

IMHO it's not a good practice and it does cost complexity/noise.

you lose the clarity around the digital representation(s) of the
identity of the library. there's only one b-t library, and the fact
that it has changed in a way that made it incompatible with something
else does not change its identity.

but it's only the 0.02 of an outsider...

--
 attila

Notice the erosion of your (digital) freedom, and do something about it!

PGP: 2FA1 A9DC 9C1E BA25 A59C  963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39
OTR XMPP: 8647EEAC EA30FEEF E1B55146 573E52EE 21B1FF06