[xcvb-devel] xcvb 0.3 in git

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri May 29 03:26:56 UTC 2009

Dear all,

I'm proud to announce XCVB 0.3, a complete reimplementation of XCVB.

It already works better than the previous v0.1-prototype (except for
the missing ASDF backend):
* xcvb will now correctly handle multiple build files
* xcvb now has a command-line interface
* there is now an example Makefile for how to use xcvb (see in test/mock/a/c/)

I apologize for the long delay, and the fact that it's still not
completely usable.

What's missing from a v1.0 (sorry about that):
* the many failure modes are totally unhelpful for users who are not
wary of XCVB internals.
* missing ASDF backend
* documentation is still lacking
* missing support for data dependencies and generated files
* ASDF migration needs to be integrated to the command-line (and maybe
extended and debugged)

In any case, if some of you are interested in XCVB *and* are not
afraid at looking inside, now is a good time to start looking, for the
internal structure is probably stable.

To test it:
   edit configure.mk from doc/configure.mk.example
   make
   cd test/mock/a/c
   make xcvb.mk
   make

I'd like to thank Spencer Brody for the initial prototype -- though
over 95% of the code has been re-written, the initial prototype was
essential in providing a platform to improve from, both in the good
ideas that were kept and the issues that it helped reveal. Thanks also
to Stas Boukarev for his help with the makefile-backend.

You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it for himself.
        -- attributed to Galileo Galilei