[xcvb-devel] Installation problem

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 20:16:59 UTC 2009

Dear Senator Zergling,

2009/8/14 szergling <senatorzergling at gmail.com>:
> I've just tried to install xcvb to try it out using the following
> (apologies for the inadvertent line wrap, if any):
>
> tyc20 at binks:~/hda/code/lisp/libs/xcvb-0.349$ make install-using-asdf
[...]
> ./dependencies/cl-launch/cl-launch.sh: line 886:
> /home/tyc20/hda/code/lisp/libs/xcvb-0.349-install/bin/cl-launch.tmp5418~:
> No such file or directory
> make: *** [install-cl-launch] Error 1

OK. The release tarball's Makefile wasn't creating the output directory
${INSTALL_BIN} early enough
Also, it wasn't correctly finding the .asd's to install.

> In that install folder, this is all there is so far:
>
> tyc20 at binks:~/hda/code/lisp/libs/xcvb-0.349$ ls -aR
> /home/tyc20/hda/code/lisp/libs/xcvb-0.349-install/
I assume you chose that install directory. Then don't forget to include
/home/tyc20/hda/code/lisp/libs/xcvb-0.349-install/bin
in your PATH afterwards so you will be able to call xcvb and cl-launch.

> Either I've done something real dumb, or there's a bug somewhere...
There was a bug in my packaging code indeed. It should be fixed, as
I've managed to install-using-asdf on one of my machines. Note that if
you are using either sbcl or clisp, I recommend to install using the
bootstrapped xcvb files.

> I get a similar sort of problem if I tried 'make install' instead.
Yup - I was trying to install cl-launch before having created the
INSTALL_BIN directory.

> All these options and gazillion Unix languages are quite overwhelming
> to me. Any chance of success if I just do this?
>
> (mapc (lambda (x) (load (compile-file (append-path x))))
>      '("driver" "pkgdcl" "macros" ...))
>
> Could be automated somewhat by direct extraction of the form in
> xcvb.asd.

Nope. XCVB is a binary that has to be created by cl-launch somehow and
be in your $PATH.

> While I'm here, does xcvb even support plain ol' Lisp style REPL and
> system construction 'within 1 image'? If you can do distributed
> multiple images, surely we can also do it all within the same image?
> 99% of use case today is like that.

It is in our plans to add this feature, but this hasn't been implemented yet.
We know how to do it, it isn't even *THAT* hard, but someone has to just do it.

You say you couldn't live if you thought the world had no purpose. You're
saying that you can't form purposes of your own -- that you need someone to
tell you what to do. The average child has more gumption than that.
	-- John McCarthy