[hunchentoot-devel] Installing Hunchentoot on SBCL, Ubuntu 10.X

Oleg Sivokon olegsivokon at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 14:10:01 UTC 2011

Thank you for responses. I didn't intend to make it look as if I'm blaming
Hunchentoot developers for anything I mentioned above. Sorry if that how it
looks. My question was rather: is this an average path for someone to get
things working? In attempt to study the subject myself I came across a lot
of information, and being new I have sometimes no idea of whether the
information is of any real value.
For example, my choice of SBCL of all CL variety was based upon comments on
Stack Overflow site. I did not try all other kinds. Now, this is not a
complaint, I really want to know, if my final goal is to use Hunchentoot, is
SBCL a good choice or not? In my experience "more forgiving" tends to give
more problems in the end, but I'm not sure what that would meant in given
context.
Regarding installations - as per my experience with other environments,
automatic tools rarely work (Ruby gems would be another perfect example!).
Yet I don't know enough to make installations completely by hand, I would
much prefer to see this sort of instructions. Again, per my experience, most
often an "installation" would scale down to unpacking an archive to several
folders and defining several environmental variables, however, I simply
don't know which files should go where, and what environmental variables to
set, if I wanted to make sure there was not an error on my side. This also
leaves me in the situation when I'm clueless as to who to blame for broken
installation... I don't even know how the properly working environment looks
like...
Another reason for asking here is that, again, knowing how it happens with
other technologies, it's worth at least to try to figure out if what I'm
facing is not some sort of known problem. For instance, I came across a
notion of Hunchentoot not installing on SBCL, it was filed against some
clone of SBCL on github under category "wishes and future improvements" in
April last year. It is unresolved so far. This information helps
understanding that there was a problem, yet I cannot figure out if it was
ever fixed, and even if it has anything to do with my setup.
That's why I asked about bug tracker. It would be ultimately helpful to
search some source being certain that the information found may be trusted.

This may sound again a silly question... but how would I log what happens
during package installation? Often times the console capacity is not enough
to accommodate all messages displayed during compile, but I cannot just
redirect the output to a file, because I would miss the restarts etc...
Thank you.