[hunchentoot-devel] Installing Hunchentoot on SBCL, Ubuntu 10.X

Zach Beane xach at xach.com
Wed Mar 16 00:31:51 UTC 2011

Oleg Sivokon <olegsivokon at gmail.com> writes:

> Now, my question is, is my experience something you would expect a user to
> undergo? Is SBCL an experimental brunch of Common Lisp, and, would I want to
> develop in more stable environment, do I have to switch to another version of
> CL? (Back in the days I've used CMUCL on Windows, albeit very shortly, but I
> don't recall that many problems...) Or are Hunchentoot and SBCL not really
> compatible, and the attempt to put them together makes it so difficult?
> Of course, most chances are I am doing something wrong :) Yet it would be nice
> if someone more experience commented.

I've used Hunchentoot and SBCL on Linux with great success. There are a
few things I do that I think help me avoid headaches.

First, while I use Debian, I do not use the system-provided packages for
Lisp-related projects. The projects are usually out-of-date (sometimes
more than a year), and sometimes they have been modified in ways that
can be hard to troubleshoot. So when I want to get SBCL for Linux, I go
to www.sbcl.org and click Download and go from there.

Second, I install and manage libraries with Quicklisp. Quicklisp is a
relatively new option that, in my experience, works better than all
previous library management systems like asdf-install. It's still in
beta, so it's not polished and complete yet, but it's still very
useful. See www.quicklisp.org for the download link. (Disclaimer: I
wrote Quicklisp.)

Hope this helps,
Zach