[hunchentoot-devel] Logging API and default behavior changed

Andreas Fuchs asf at boinkor.net
Mon Jan 24 01:21:50 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 01:49, Hans Hübner <hans.huebner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Previously, it was possible to disable logging altogether by setting
> the log pathnames to NIL, which also was the default.  I have changed
> that so that if a log pathname is NIL, the log entry is written to
> CL:*ERROR-OUTPUT* instead.  This seems to be a more helpful behavior.
> If an application desires to switch off logging completely, it now
> needs to either set the log pathnames to "/dev/null" (wasteful, but
> quick) or implement methods for the logging functions above.

I think that binding CL:*ERROR-OUTPUT* to an empty broadcast stream
should also work for disabling logging. But that will still have the
performance cost of writing to a stream; overriding the methods seems
like the better choice for deploying code somewhere.

Andreas Fuchs, (http://|im:asf@|mailto:asf@)boinkor.net, antifuchs