[hunchentoot-devel] Upcoming Hunchentoot release - Web design wanted

Hans Hübner hans.huebner at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 10:40:09 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Andrey Moskvitin <archimag at gmail.com> wrote:
> Problems with calling 'error-contents-from-template
> in the 'acceptor-status-message:
>
> 1. Ignored variables *show-lisp-errors-p* and *show-lisp-backtraces-p*

This is intentional.  The template determines whether a backtrace or
error message is displayed.

> 2. Do not set content-type to "text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"

That is right.  I am going to fix this, but while looking at the
problem, I found that Hunchentoot is not currently smart about the
content type that it generates.  I think that the content type should
automatically match the external format, and that it should default to
utf-8 instead of latin-1.  I'm going to address that in a separate
commit.

> 3. Path /img/made-with-lisp-logo.jpg may be invalid

Right.  The error pages supplied with Hunchentoot will work only when
the images and possibly other resources that are referenced from them
are available at the expected locations.  My plan is to supply a
standard document tree that is useful.  Users are free to ignore that
document tree, and Hunchentoot will automatically fall back to cooked
message bodies when no template is found.

> Maybe it does not need?
> (apply 'make-cooked-message http-status-code args)
> well suited for most occasions. IMHO, 404.html and 500.html templates
> only complicate the code and create problems, but virtually useless
> in practice.

I don't find the whole thing overly complicated, and you are free to
ignore the feature if you don't like it or think it is useless.  Thank
you for reporting the problems that you've found!

Edi has the last say in all this anyway.

-Hans