[hunchentoot-devel] Trouble with finish-output in process-connection

Hans Hübner hans.huebner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 12:13:36 UTC 2011

Andrey,

thank you for your report:

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Andrey Moskvitin <archimag at gmail.com> wrote:
> A few days ago on the site lisper.ru I started using Hunchentoot from trunk.
> And found that the system stopped working in a few hours. I watched the behavior
> of the system during the day and found that some threads do not complete their
> work and hangs on "finish-ouptut" (in "process-connection").  When they
> accumulate enough, the work stops.

In principle, I am fine with making that change in Hunchentoot.  I do
wonder what is really going on.  The difference between finish-output
and force-output is, according to the spec, that finish-output
actually waits for the output to have drained, while force-output just
initiates the flushing and returns immediately.  What you seem to
report is that the flushing is not actually terminating when
finish-output is used.  Just to understand what's going on, what kind
of setup did you observe the bad behavior in?  Can you reproduce the
problem and tell us some more about the connections that seem to be
hanging - Are they still in ESTABLISHED or in FIN_WAIT state?

It'd be great if you could supply us with some more information.

Thanks!
Hans