[hunchentoot-devel] 'max-threads' behavior for Hunchentoot

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 22:11:39 UTC 2010

Dear Hunchentooters,

here's my patch against the latest svn, de-xcvb-ified. That's what I'm
running at ITA, it seems to be passing the QRes precheckin. Can you
review, and apply if satisfactory?

Suggested commit message (from Scott McKay's svn commit):

    Extend Hunchentoot's 'one-thread-per-connection-taskmaster'
      to support 'max-threads' semantics, i.e., don't create
      a new thread if we've max out.

    Add a 'pooled-thread-per-connection-taskmaster' that will
      eventually use a thread pool, if profiling indicates.
    Fix the 'handle-incoming-connection' to implement the
      new behavior.
    Add a commented-out implementation of 'accept-connections'
      that might give better performance.  This needs to be
      discussed with the Hunchentoot maintainers.

    Address the review comments and discussions between Scott McKay
    and Hans Huebner, who is one of the H'toot maintainers.
    Also correctly issue HTTP 503 when the server runs out of threads.

(work by Scott McKay)

Comparing oneself with Galileo or Einstein is certainly good for the ego —
provided one refrains from going into too much detail.  — John McCarthy