[hunchentoot-devel] Anyone running Hunchentoot on an OpenBSD server?

Hans Hübner hans.huebner at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 06:29:47 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 04:33, Jeff Cunningham
<j.k.cunningham at comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm looking into setting up a Hunchentoot server on an OpenBSD system
> and right away noticed problems in the notes about building threads into
> SBCL (it sounds experimental). Lack of thread support would be a
> problem, wouldn't it? Has anyone run Hunchentoot on OpenBSD before? If
> so, were you able to use SBCL? If not, what did you use?

I have not run Lisp on OpenBSD, but here is some advice anyway:
Running Hunchentoot in a single threaded Lisp is not generally a
problem for low-volume sites.  I would decouple the Lisp server from
clients using a HTTP proxy so that slow clients can't easily stall the
server.

I generally use squid (http://www.squid-cache.org/) for that purpose,
but there are a host of other options.  When evaluating http proxies
last time, I have not been able to find one that supports single
threaded backend servers well:  In such a configuration, it would
generally be preferable to queue requests in the front end process and
perform precise scheduling of backend requests.  None of the http
proxies I looked at (squid, nginix, varnish) supported that.at the
time.